Thursday, April 27, 2023

The "right to repair" fight heats up

 There’s potentially something good happening in Colorado this month. (How often do we get to say that sentence these days?)

This bill is meant to help farmers, but it looks to me like it helps everyone.

I remember the last time I took my truck to the dealership a few years back. They screwed it up so bad another well known mechanic shop couldn't fix it. If I hadn't been able to access repair manuals I would have been forced to buy another truck.

If repair information is not available all repairs will have to be by authorized repair stations. 

Your $300K piece of equipment will have to sit there, unused.

6 comments:

  1. This is already an issue with cars, and will become even more of an issue as EV's are rammed down America's throat!

    My son has a VW Jetta with proprietary "Electronic Performance Control" software. That light comes on, and he's doomed to taking the thing to a dealer because, well, the software and its access is proprietary. That light came on for him a few months back. $3K later, the light is still coming on. The same goes for my Chevy Volt. Yeah, the dealer will do a software upgrade... for $250.00... "Point, click, Enter..." That'll be $250.00 please..." This is what it's come to... You'll never truly own your car...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2009 Yukon XL, and the local repair shop charged me $1,000 and STILL could not "program" the rear hvac controller to make it work. Eh, program?

    I guess we still have some remnants of Libertarian Colorado that the Californians haven't torched yet.
    -Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I changed out the power window motor in my Volt. It actually threw a Check Engine Light when I tested it! The damned car KNEW I had replaced something!!! I cleared the fault easy enough, but still...

      Delete
    2. Oh; and for the record, California was a DEEP RED STATE in the 70's. Then it was overrun by Lefties... who weren't from California... ...Welcome to hell...

      Delete
  3. Reason why I am keeping my 2000 Chevy C3500 until I die or it does... I can work on it and can access the computer. Screw these new cars and trucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. 300K miles plus on an 03 dakota and a 99 dakota about 350k.

      Delete