Sunday, August 27, 2023

Automobile Repair

 Last saturday the 19 of august, my grandson came up and I asked him to help me troubleshoot the a/c blower motor on my dodge dakota. It would not run in the high position, but low medium1 and medium2 would run no problem.

So he got down there in the passenger floorboard and probed the connector and we were getting some strange voltage readings, so he pulled the blower motor resistor out, and he immediately saw a problem. A large wire was burned and corroded and had pulled out of the connector to the resistor.

So he attempted to pull the connector to get a better look but it was firmly attached to the resistor and resisted all attempts to remove it.

So we go to napa auto parts and get a resistor with connector kit, and he attaches the new connector to the wires and now to reinstall the resistor. Except we can't find the damn screws to reinstall it. 

He had handed them to me when he removed them. Don't ask me what the hell I did with them.

We searched for the better part of an hour for those damn things. Drove back to napa and I got some screws but my eyeball gauge for screw size is seriously out of whack cause I got screws about 3 sizes too cottonpickin big.

Spend another fifteen minutes or so looking for the originals. Go into my stash and found some that might work and lo and behold he gets the resistor installed, the blower works and all is right with the world of a/c in my truck.

So fast forward to yesterday.  My daughter is driving my wifes ford explorer.  

The a/c is not blowing cold, and I haven't recharged it in about 4 years. So I am topping off the a/c with freon and I have a light with a magnet on it that I attempted to attach to the hood so I could have 2 hands free. 

Guess what was on the magnet base? 


Those two damn screws for the resistor in my truck. Guess I had laid the light in the floorboard, apparently where I had also laid those 2 screws. You talk about dumbfounded.

After pulling my jaw up off the ground I finished the a/c work on the ford. 

But guess what? The a/c fan only works on high now, so I get to replace another blower motor resistor. 

But at least this time it is accessible from the engine compartment and not the floorboard. If you are interested, here is a link that tells what the procedure for this is

.How to Replace Blower Motor Resistor 1995-2001 Ford Explorer

2 comments:

  1. I usually find lost screw's in the washing machine or dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of months ago, my wife and I had to get a load of hay so we connected the trailer to vehicle and went and accomplished it. When we got back, the cotter pin to the bolt preventing the latch from opening was missing. ??

    "Did you install it ?"

    "No - you did that."

    So lift up the latch and find the cotter pin pinched underneath the latch. Stayed there during 30 miles of round trip driving and driving through pasture to the hay shed and back home.

    Damndest thing.

    ReplyDelete