Sunday, January 7, 2024

I am impressed.

 I am borrowing my daughters pickup. It is a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with 5.7 l hemi magnum.

Twice in the past couple of days when I first start it up it has a terrible clicking in the motor. Sounds like it is probably lifters. And it was LOUD. After doing some research it sounds like this is a big problem with these engines. 

After driving a few minutes the clicking decreases significantly. According to research it sounds like oil has finally hit the cams and doing its job. 

It is not a noise coming from the exhaust manifolds, I checked that.

So I reluctantly purchased a can of a product called Seafoam.




According to the label it can be used for everything. I mean this stuff does everything. And when I see claims like that I get leery.

So I followed the directions and poured this stuff into my oil, hoping that it will help quieten the lifters. Then I drove it about 50 miles yesterday, and let it sit overnight.

I went out to start it just now, and I'll be doggone. No lifter noise like I have heard for the last 2 days.

Color me impressed.

More research indicates that if I use a full synthetic motor oil like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 the lifters will be much much quieter. I will try that as I plan to make a long trip and haul a trailer with this vehicle.


Wish me luck.

8 comments:

  1. I have used SLICK 50 in the past, and it did improve gas mileage noticeably..I have not heard about the Seafoam additive..Good to know..what kinda car is that on your header?...nice..I was gonna guess an Auburn, but only a guess...I can make out 'Supercharged' on the side of the hood, but that's as far as my recognition goes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know about the car, that is a pic I found on the net and threw up there. Maybe I better find out, you are the second person to ask. I have used slick 50 in the past but couldn't tell any results. I have never used seafoam, I used to use chevron techron. When I start the truck tomorrow if there is no noise I will call this a win.

      Delete
  2. I've used it in my 4 wheeler gas tank, but never in crankcase, might have to try it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used Sea Foam fuel system products for YEARS. That stuff actually works! I use it once or twice a year in my Jeep. A can of the fuel system cleaner goes into the tank. At the same time, I shoot a can of Sea Foam spray down the throttle body (or carburetor throat). The whole can gets sprayed into the intake while the engine is running. As soon as it's empty, the engine is shut off for at least fifteen minutes. Then I start the engine and drive the engine hard for a few minutes. This cleans out the intake valves and decarbonizes the engine. There is an ACTUAL DIFFERENCE in how the engine runs and performs after treatment! Newer fuel injected engines with "direct injection" need this done every once in a while. Why? Because in these engines the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, bypassing the intake valve. The fuel no longer washes the valves or seats. A few years of blow-by and intake air dirt later, and you have intake valve problems. The Sea Foam takes care of this BEFORE it's a problem!

    I also use this stuff on my two and four-cycle yard equipment engines. 'Keeps 'em running forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the info, that is good to know.

      Delete
  4. Sea Foam is all that and more. Lot of boat people use it right before the store they boat for the winter. so damn good I've thought about mixing it with cheap whiskey and curing all that ails me.

    ReplyDelete