Tuesday, August 11, 2020

All You Influencers

For the last 28 years I have worked as a salesman in the water treatment industry for boiler and cooling tower chemicals.  It's a pretty good job, very little physical labor is involved, quite a bit of driving around.

I know the word salesman has a lot of bad connotations for people, myself included. I am not that kind of salesman. I offer my products to the customer, if they want it they buy it, if not they don't. I don't use high pressure sales, I don't like it used on me. I guess you might say I am a glorified order taker.

Last May the company I worked for sold to a larger company from Illinois. I got a new email address, and have been receiving various emails from the company.  One of the things I really don't like is the use of the term influencer. The owner of the company likes to post on facebook and linked in and in his emails say, all you influencers out there post also. That makes my skin crawl. That term really bothers me. And they want me to "upsell". 

I believe that by March 31 or maybe March 32 or 33 of next year I will be retired from the job. And that is a good thing.

The reason I bring this up is this article.









4 comments:

  1. The handwriting is on the wall. Retire now, if at all possible. The previous owners got their money, and they may or may not be saying "bye and good luck we got our money".
    Don't think it doesn't happen.
    Anytime they make up words that describe your position, it's time to go.
    We need more patriots in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am originally from north of Lubbock about 60 miles, little town called Lockney. My wifes cancer doctor is here, and she nor I want to leave, he is a good doctor. So for now, we stay here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Influencer' is one of many words or phrases in pop culture that I don't like. Didn't even care for 'trend setter'. Nothng special about any of these people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete