Monday, February 22, 2021

Windmills

When I was a kid growing up in the panhandle of Texas, windmills were all over the place. The first 2 houses i can remember living in used windmills to pump water into a very large tank which was elevated in the air about 20 feet. 

This tank was open at the top. All sorts of bugs, leaves, sticks, you name it was in this water. But, this is where the water we drank and used for other purposes came from. And look at me, I am not the least bit deranged from drinking this water.

Repairing windmills was a pretty good business in the area i grew up in. In the town i lived in was a guy we called Windmill Johnson. He was the repair guy for our area. I had a cousin, Jerry Miller, who was a windmill repairman. The last time i saw him was probably 30 years ago, he was still going strong.

But anyway. I seem to recall that before many of the plains farmers and farmers from other states had access to centralized electricity, they used dc power on their farms. Which was generated by windmills. I think. But I could not find an article to post here about that.



2 comments:

  1. In the 1930's my mother lived in a two room farm house,each room had a 40 watt light bulb. Off in a corner sat the radio (which was used for one hour on Saturday)All of these items were 6 volt,charged by a wind mill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that is what was used back then. I think that is better than centralized electricity.

      Delete