Thursday, September 7, 2023

Wind Power Generation for the Fail

Low Wind Generation Prompts Texas Power Grid Operator to Declare Emergency to Avoid Blackouts 

I am not certain what to think of that headline.

After I got out of the navy in 1976, one of the reasons I did not return to Texas was the wind situation. 

When I was growing up in the south plains of Texas I grew tired of the wind blowing all the time. And not just in march either. Seems like the wind blew 24 hours a day 356 days a year. Yes, 356, I think we used to have 9 days a year without wind.

I know, that is an exaggeration. But the wind did blow a lot back then, and with it came the damn dust. I never saw what I guess is called a Haboob. As far as I know we never had one of those.

But damn it used to get dusty. I remember when the wind blew my dad would hook the tractor up to an implement called a sandfighter.

The thing I remember was just a long round tube, I think about 20 feet, with about 3 to 4 inch flat pieces of plate welded to it.(I tried to find a pic, but nothing that looked like that came up.) As it was drug over the ground the plates would dig up clods of dirt. I guess that was supposed to keep the wind from blowing all the topsoil over to the neighboring farms.

As you can tell I have been away from that farm area for a long damn time, about 50+ years. So my rememberer may be a little bit off about the tools used.

Anyway, I don't like the wind.

2 comments:

  1. Amen. And this year has been no different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The EPA told us farmers here in Nebraska that we couldn't spray crops if the wind was over 15 MPH. I think we a one or two days all summer that we legally could spray and most days were in the 20-30 MPH range.

    ReplyDelete