Sunday, December 3, 2023

T-Shirt Rates

 

I used to be a boiler repair mechanic. This t-shirt reminded me of a story my last boiler repair employer told me about his early days of working in Los Angeles area. My time of work for him was 1990 to 1992.

He was trying to repair a boiler that would not fire up. It was located on the rear dock of the building and was critical for this places production.

He had just arrived and was just starting to troubleshoot the unit, when he glanced around and saw, he said, about 10 to 15 people just gathered around the boiler watching him. Weird.

So he gets up to go to the back of the boiler and look thru the sight glass, and he had to physically move around 2 or 3 of the watchers.

When he came back to the front, he continued walking out to his truck. Standing there, he lit up a smoke and was enjoying the smoke and the day.

I used to smoke, and I definitely enjoyed a relaxing moment with my smoke.

So he is just standing there. In that day there were no cell phones, so to occupy your time you stood there, twiddling your thumbs.

Finally one of the observers saw him just standing there. He snarked at him, Aren't you going to fix this?

My employer replied, Fix it? I can't even see it!

When he said that I started laughing, hard. I don't remember if there was any more of the story. I had been in similar situations, that's why I laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment