Thursday, February 10, 2022

Gloom despair and agony on me.

 Rather than get off my ass and go do some much needed yard work today, I decided to sit on my ass and peruse the internet and yell at the dog.

Very relaxing, especially yelling at the dog. That was sarcasm. 

But on the internet front, about all I found today is gloom, despair and agony on me. Deep dark depression excessive misery.

I did not find one story that I thought to be upbeat.

About all I can say now is make sure you have your preps in order. If civil war doesn't come, inflation is rearing its ugly head and you may be eating your preps soon. Especially if the supply chain keeps heading in the wrong direction.

Speaking of preps, I have been running my kitchen refrigerator off my 1600 watt solar panel system for over 2 weeks now.  It appears to be working splendidly so far. That is the prime phrase, "So Far." The batteries appear to only be going to about 50% discharge, or maybe 40%, overnight. My electric bill looks like it may have gone down by 10%.

I am going to have to get a voltage indicator I can wire in remotely inside my office, as it gets tiresome to open the door to outside so I can view the digital display on the inverter.

Another thing about my preps is I can't rotate the stock fast enough with just my wife and I. So we are going to wind up with some pretty old cans of veggies. A couple months ago I used a can of pinto beans from 2015 that were pretty good. But I would rather not make that a habit.

Anyway, hopefully news will get better and we can all read something that makes us happy.

Have a good evening, talk to you later.

8 comments:

  1. As I understand it and something I have practiced, if the can is not damaged, rusty or leaking then the contents are okay to eat even up to ten years after that subjective expiration date, especially if kept in a cool protected environment. I commonly eat veges and fruits from food banks and commodity banks that are slightly out of date and I haven't noticed any degradation in quality or flavor. Being on SSDI and not having any other income until I am 65 (63 now) until my pensions start. I live quite comfortably and am not hungry by any means and actually enjoy some travel and creature comforts and camping and fishing with my small travel trailer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my cans are located in the garage and it can get quite hot in the summer. So I visually inspect the cans, as you do. But because of the heat I don't like to let them go that long.

      Delete
  2. Probably shouldn't be draining the batteries that much constantly.
    20% discharge is about all you want to go. Otherwise they will sulphate prematurely.
    Sounds like you need more batteries for what you are trying to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked into that. There are a lot of opinions about that out there. For deep cycle batteries some say 50%, some say 75, some say 25 is okay. I am going to stick with this for now. I may regret that. I hope they last.

      Delete
  3. I'd be interested to see a layout of your system, and explanation of your equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got into some old cans last summer. I found that anything with milk or tomatoes goes bad first so if it is old dump it. Other stuff seems to last and last. But I rotate it by feeding it to my chickens and getting new eggs.---ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had one can of something tomatoe go bad and start leaking, but so far that is the only one. For the most part everything is still good. We have some canned chicken though I am going to throw out, not gonna trust it.

      Delete