Sunday, May 15, 2022

Rotating My Gasoline Cans

 The last few weeks I have been doing a lot more driving than normal. Thus, I have occasion to rotate out my supply of gasoline I have stored.


I have seven 5 gallon cans I keep full. I add a product called Stabil which keeps the gas usable for a long time. I add 3 ounces per 5 gallons. 

I have another product I bought years ago that has enzymes in it to do the same job as stabil. But I have always been reluctant to use it.

The first can I rotated out was from sometime in 2019. I added that to my truck and then filled it up and had no problems with it at all. 

I have one more can to go, which is dated November of 2021. Then I will relax until about this time next year and start over again.

That is assuming I am still around next year. The way things are going around here I may take a drive to the Rockies and jump off a cliff.

4 comments:

  1. I have had no problems with Stabil treated gas up to a full two years old. I have always used it up within two years of putting it into the tank of my generator or other equipment. I only use out of my storage for a vehicle in the event that I don't trust what is in the tank to get me (or my step-son) to a gas station. When he comes to visit, he tends to cut it close.

    I am normally able to get a substantial discount with the station associated with the grocery store I use through their gas saver program. Since it is good for up to 20 gallons, we usually fill both his car and mine at the same time. He has a 10 gallon tank and mine is 11.5 gallons. We usually get at least 18 gallons between the two of us. ordinarily I don't run my tank that low, but save the discount for when he is going to be in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to top mine off at a half tank. I have used stabil treated gas up to 2.5 years old with no issues so far.

      Delete
  2. I have been using a better version of Sta-Bil called "Sta-Bil 360" which not only preserves the gasoline but takes care of the ethanol. I rotate all my gas once per year with no issues with equipment or vehicles for over 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked and my last bottle I bought is the 360. I recommend stabil as a good product.

      Delete