Tuesday, June 8, 2021

I'm Thinking About Going Back to Work

 I like being retired. 

I was tired yesterday. I am retired today.


What I don't like is having to work on vehicles. I am working on enough vehicles lately I think maybe I should go rent a shop and put out a shingle saying come on down. But if I wasn't doing that I would just be sitting on my bohunkus reading your blogs. Which is a much nicer way to pass the time.

Last Friday my lovely missus and I were down in fresno beating around.  Went thru one of the drive thrus at lunch, I think it was Wienerschnitzel. Parked in the shade of a tree in a big box store parking lot. It was hot enough I left the car running with the a/c on. Pretty soon I notice the temp start creeping up. We finished quickly and I reversed out of the spot and son of a bitch, a couple gallons of coolant is on the ground where the car was.

Got home okay but it was touch and go there for a while. Popped the hood and I'll be damned, the radiator had a big ole split in it. Not in the seam either.



So on Saturday I manned up, got a radiator and replaced that sorry sob. Working just fine.(I shouldn't complain, that radiator had been in there since 1999)

Got a call from my grandson yesterday. He said he had transmission fluid in his radiator and he also had coolant under his car. Son of a Bitch! Thats bigtime bad news. Radiator for sure, but if he got coolant in the tranny? Thats a big bad nono. So he brings his durango up here and parks it and takes his ford expedition home, the one he has up for sale. Comes up today and we change the radiator, and were going to replace the water pump, but the guy he bought it from recently must have done that because the water pump is brand new. Changed the hoses and thermostat also. But I could find zero evidence of transmission fluid in the coolant or coolant in the transmission or the engine. Thank you Lord!

But. After we were done, I said lets check stuff on the ford, because he said he checked the oil last night and had to add 3 quarts. Son of a bitch again. Thats 3 quarts in 800 miles. But no evidence of leakage that I can see. Or burning it, no smoke. Anyway, I opened the radiator cap on the coolant reservoir which apparently is the only radiator cap on the whole thing. And what the eff do I find there? Looks like a brownish whitish milkshake, and boy it is a hell of a lot thicker than coolant.

I don't have a pic of that, but it sure looks nasty. So that will be my next vehicle project. Wish me luck.



2 comments:

  1. Dang! I had to do all my own work on my vehicles as a youngster, or was expected to pay for them myself.
    You are a very kind soul to do this for your family.
    Maybe that's why I am the way I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I should clarify, I am not doing the work for him, we are working together on it. Kind of a tradeoff, he helps me when I need it, and I help him. He does all his own work, but he uses my driveway to do it.

      Delete