Tuesday, March 22, 2022

The prices are too damn high. Thanks joe.

Jesus H Christ! Stuff is super expensive. I am going to make myself a homemade composting barrel. Why? Have you checked out the cost of buying potting soil or compost in a bag at lowes or homey depot or somewhere?
You would think the stuff is made of gold. 1 to 1.5 cubic foot bags are 12 to 15 dollars. If you want 10 of those that adds up to a lot of moolah.
So I am going to make a rotating compost bin as cheaply as I can. And hope like hell it works. 
Right now here is my parts list:
2 of 10 foot doug fir 2x4 at $11.27 each
4 2 inch caster at $5.08 each
2 hinges at $3.48 each
1 barrel bolt at $5.00
1 2x2 piece of wood at $11.00
For a grand total of about $66 plus sales tax.
Thats about 4 bags of compost. 
If I get the thing made I'll post a pic. Wish me luck.
Oh, and if you need a replacement water heater? Fuhgeddaboutit! A 30 gallon natural gas heater was $749! A 40 gallon was $958 or thereabouts. And a 50 gallon was well over a thousand. 
That does not include installation. I will do that myself but I gotta wait until I collect enough bottles and cans to sell at the recycle place.

4 comments:

  1. The prices will drive new home construction out of bounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I gotta replace a fence next month. Can't wait to see what parts prices will be for that.

      Delete
  2. Wow! They (democraps) want you to shower and wash dishes in cold water. That is a ridiculous pricing for gas heater! You could go electric but with your governator cutting electricity when he has a wild hair fart you would be in the same boat. You may have to scrounge some black plastic pipe and make a solar heater... Have you thought about a tankless heater? I know they are expensive too, but may save you money in the long run by not heating standing water. I had one in my home in South Dakota and it was sized for a three bathroom house and never ran it out and my natural gas bill went way down below a quarter of what it was heating a pilot light and a 30 gallon heater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna hold off on the water heater. I have a small rental in fresno the tenants are moving out of, the water heater is several decades old, I was gonna be proactive. But right now it is still usable but the fence has to be replaced. I just want to get it up to snuff to sell so I can get out from under it.

      Delete