Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Signing Bonus

 The U.S. Army, for the first time, is offering a maximum enlistment bonus of $50,000 to highly skilled recruits who join for six years

I joined the navy in 1970. My agreement with them at the time was that I joined for 4 years and at the end of four I would extend that enlistment by 2 years with a guaranteed bonus of $3500. At least I think it was that amount, somewhere in that range.

About 1 year before I had to resign up congress said fuck you none of you are getting your bonus. Came time to re-sign up and I said no, they said okay you're going to federal prison. That wasn't exactly what they said, I can't remember that far back. But I do remember that was the impression I was left wiff. So, well shit, in that case I signed. 

Then the whole of the navy that was affected by that filed a class action lawsuit, and about 2 years after I got out, I received my money from the government.

Took about 4 years for the federal gov't to honor their commitment for that paltry sum. Wonder if they're paying cash up front this time?



2 comments: