Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Here is a primer on lithium iron phosphate batteries.

 How to Find Happiness With LiFePO4 (Lithium-Ion) Batteries

I have recently purchased two of the lithium iron phosphate batteries as an upgrade to my solar system.

I have connected one of  them and so far it seems to be performing as advertised.

I have done some reading on these, as they are quite different from lead acid batteries. As an example, deep cycle lead acid batteries work best if you don't discharge them below, say, 20% capacity. Lifepo4 batteries can be successfully discharged and recharged from 10% to 100% without damage. 

I didn't quite believe that so I contacted the manufacturer of the batteries I bought, and asked about that. They assured me that that is in fact the case. 

Sure hope so. These things are expensive.

So the above is a basic primer on these batteries. Read and enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Where did you get them?
    If I may ask, how much were they each?
    How many panels are you running with 2?
    I have 2 towers with 12 panels each. My batteries are getting along in age and I'm looking at replacement options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello anonymous. If you want to email me at fredhorn37@gmail.com we can go over this more. I paid $669 each for the two batteries, which are the 12.8 v plus,200Ah, on amazon. Shipping was included. The brand is Power Queen. Please note that i believe these are one of the lesser expensive brands.There are so many different brands out there it can be hard to make a decision on which to buy. I made my decision to buy these based on a youtube video where a guy used his to run a fridge and they worked well. I have 5 270 watt 12volt panels connected in parallel, going to a 60 watt EPever solar charge controller.

      Delete
    2. I meant 60 amp controller.

      Delete